Jazz Throughout American History

Monday, February 22, 2010

"What Am I Doing Blogging?"

In reading this blog and power point presentation, I feel that I have gained some perspective on religion's effect on education, and the underlying reason for both viewpoints on integrated religion on school. Many argue that religion should be taught separately from academics, and the government has made it clear that they will teach evolution and not creationism. I think that this is the right call, because creationism has already been proven wrong, and I don't understand how people still support. In her blog, Val used a political cartoon to portray the effect that teaching creationism would have on academics. To me it seems like a step down intellectually from what we have now, considering where science is today. I agree with her ideas on the subject: "No teacher should be pressing ideas or beliefs on another. If a student wants to learn about his or her religion, he or she can find time to do so outside of school." This entire belief is backed up by the basic ideas of being an American. Freedom of religion is a guaranteed right, and I don't see how this freedom doesn't apply to schools. It makes no sense that people feel that they have the right to override this freedom, just because they want to force their beliefs on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment